We are delighted to announce the selected candidates for the Changemakers Programme 2022-2023 Cohort. The list can be downloaded using the download link bellow:
Every year on the 12th of August, the world commemorates International Youth Day. This day was set aside by the United Nations to raise awareness and reflect on issues affecting young people worldwide. This year again, Malawi joined the rest of the international community in commemorating this day under the theme “Intergenerational Solidarity: Creating a World for All Ages.”
The theme sought to highlight that to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the world needs to leverage the full potential of all generations. Furthermore, the theme sought to utilize young people’s potential as actors of change, which requires involving and empowering them in developing policies and supporting their participation at all levels.
Youth Wave, in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth and Sports and various stakeholders in Malawi, led the commemoration event at CIVO Stadium in Lilongwe. The event attracted different organizations and youth who showcased their talents, services and other innovative products.
The event was graced with the presence of Malawi’s Head of State, H.E. Dr Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera, who could not hide his admiration for the interventions and innovations done by Malawian Youth in addressing social challenges as a contribution to Malawi 2063. The Head of State, H.E. Dr. Lazarus Chakwera also pledged that his administration will continue with youth-aligned policies and programmes across the nation, for they are crucial in the transitioning of Malawi into a self-reliant and inclusively wealthy nation.
The event also provided “Networking Zones” for young people and various stakeholders from development agencies and the government. Through the networking zones, young people interacted with different stakeholders and discussed social issues and developmental issues. The platform also provided an opportunity for exploration of ways to foster potential partnerships.
Other activities during the IYD commemoration event were sports, live music and dance performances and SRH service provision. Young people from both Lilongwe urban and rural as well as a few other districts were present at the event.
This is a unique signature leadership programme, led by Youth Wave, that aims at building the next generation of servant and selfless youth leaders who are passionate and committed to changing the lives of young people and impacting communities by solving the world’s toughest challenges using innovative solutions in sustainable ways. The Changemakers have track record of leadership skills and are drawn national- wide from youth-led NGO’s, networks, clubs, institutions of higher learning and other development structures at national, district and community level. The programme involves tailor-made capacity building designed to necessitate personal growth and development. The programmatic focus areas are: Health, Gender, education, Civic engagement and Advocacy (social accountability).
- Be on the ground doing the work and ability to use the power of digital media
- Belong to a registered youth-led organisation or network
- Good understanding of SDG’s and be between 16 and 30 years old
Roles of Changemakers
- Inspiring and mobilising others to implement change process
- Thinkers who use problem-solving skills to deal with problems related to change.
- Support youth leaders and making the case for change again and again. Identifying a cause near to their heart and leading change
- Access to funding opportunities
- Joint proposal development, fundraising and resource mobilisation
- Networking platform with bright young minds
- Spotlight in the Changemakers Waveflash
- Catalyst for personal and professional growth
- Opportunities for capacity building, and
- Supportive global village for youth leaders.
Instructions for applying
Send as a Word document or PDF, the application should contain the following:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Your work (already done, being done or planned).